- Dynamite since: August 2013
- Most likely to … have misplaced my car keys again (I know I just had them…).
- Likes: Aisle seat/exit row; room service; ice hockey; the perfect combo of key lime pie + black coffee; a long trail run on a cool fall morning; aggressively hopped IPAs; stick shifts; 1980s punk, post-punk and new wave.
- Dislikes: Reality TV; ballpoint pens; missing the trailers; slow drivers in the passing lane; misplacing my car keys (again).
- Historical Figure: Marcus Aurelius, Alexander Patch, and/or Joe Strummer.
- Interesting Fact: Before Dynamis, I flew helicopters in the Navy. Before the Navy, I flew a trapeze in the circus.
John McLain is a Dynamis Principal and Senior Manager for the Defense and International Solutions Group. An experienced leader, manager, strategist, and strategic analyst, John is an expert in countering weapons of mass destruction (CWMD) strategy and strategic planning efforts, and is the author/lead writer for the Defense Threat Reduction Agency (DTRA) R&D Strategic Vision, 2018 DTRA Strategic Plan for R&D, and 2019 DTRA Strategic Plan for RDT&E.
John is a 26-year U.S. Navy veteran and naval aviator. In addition to his many operational sea tours, his assignments included Air Test and Evaluation Squadron ONE (VX-1), the CNO’s Strategic Studies Group, the Joint Staff, the Center for Naval Analyses, and the OPNAV N3/N5 Staff, where he served as the lead strategist for the 2010 Naval Operations Concept and revised the tri-service Cooperative Strategy for 21st Century Seapower. He is a graduate of Florida State University and earned a Masters’ degree (with distinction) in National Security Studies from the Naval War College.